Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blade Runner review

So, nearly all of the movies that I have watched in Art of Film have been movies that I have heard about but never watched. Yet again, here is another one: Blade Runner, the neo noir, cyber punk sci-fi flick of the 1980's. It was weird watching this. It has always one of those films that I haven't necessarily been told that it is an amazing film, but that because of it being talked about so much I figured that it was. In a way I hyped myself up for this film. I was expecting something else. Instead of an action packed feature, it was an oddly realistic, psychological/philosophical journey (with some action).

Blade Runner
felt like a movie that was set in futuristic setting just so there could be the idea of the replicates. What I am trying to develop here is that besides the replicants, this movie was pretty universal. I could actually see this being a supernatural noir film. Not only that, but I could see this movie as being set in any time period (if there was a way to explain the replicants). That is one thing I can really appreciate and like about Blade Runner. This is a timeless film (in the future!).

No comments: