Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Touch of Evil, Fist of Death!

I must say, when we found out that we were watching film noir for our genre, I wasn't sure what to expect. Double Indemnity was good, but it didn't really leave a lasting "amazing" feeling on me. Touch of Evil however, is definitely one of those films that is amazing.
Personally, I like gritty, lifelike films like this that don't have a typical Hollywood ending. So, Touch of Evil was actually enjoyable to me. Besides that, there was plenty of depth in this film. Every time we watch another of these (older) films for class I start to see a how their creation has evolved film styles. Specifically with Touch of Evil, I can see how the many interconnected story line type of film came into fruition. Touch of Evil (for some reason) felt like Magnolia.

Besides that, there are many plot developments that seem to have originated (maybe, maybe not) from this movie. I like the whole "good cop turned bad" theme on both sides. It is obvious that Quinlan has turned bad, but I also noticed that even Vargas had to do some "evil" to get the job done (opening the file on Quinlan wasn't very legal was it (?)). Thinking about it some more, the movie title is actually quite symbolic. The way I think about it is like water with a little bit of oil in it. That all it takes is a little bit of oil to contaminate the water. The only thing is when will the "oil" be included? ("You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Thank you Dark Knight)

No comments: