Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Daughters of the Dust review

Daughters of the Dust......umm.....not really much to say about it.
I usually like foreign films, but American films made to be like foreign films....meh. I understood before watching the film that it was supposed to be different from the average American plot line. Yet, I felt like there wasn't much difference except that it was just really drawn out. Actually my initial reaction to the film was that it felt like a Hallmark or Lifetime movie (not really sure how to explain my reasonings).
I was not crazy about the film, but there were some things that I could appreciate about it. After talking to a classmate (thanks Andy!) I came to appreciate the cultural significance of it. From watching this film, I could understand where a portion of the Black background came from. Also, little things like their language gave me an understanding where the accents today come from.
So, overall, not my cup of tea. Maybe after a talk I'll understand it a little more...

No comments: