Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Godfather initial thought

Ah, The Godfather

Another one of those movies that I had only heard of, but never seen. I have heard a multitude of thoughts on it, and I must say, anyone who thinks that The Godfather is overrated, is crazy. It was a superb film. The characters, the images, the soundtrack, everything! This motion picture managed to take a giant cast of a-listers and make it monumental. I think when The Film Experience was talking about naturalistic acting, it was talking about nearly EVERYONE in The Godfather. I have to mention that Marlon Brando truly deserves the praise he gets for his roles. Yet again in The Film Experience, there is mention on how certain actors tend to feel like other characters they have played. Brando is an exception. I could not believe that was him. His acting and the make-up (cotton balls in his mouth) made him look and feel completely different than he did in Apocalypse Now. He really is an amazing actor (my Dad told me that Brando actually did the film reading cue cards!).
Al Pacino also brought a wonderful performance. He seems so young at the beginning, and towards the end feels ages older. The slow turn from innocent war hero to the cold mob boss he is was just phenomenal, and also left me thinking how easy it could be to turn like that. I found it ironic that Michael Corleone went to war, and still was unprepared for the life of a mobster. I noticed that the snub nose revolver that he uses to kill Sollazzo and the McCluskey is like the diverging point of his life (how props can be more).

By the way, I happened to play the video game for The Godfather before this and I must say that if you are a fan on the movie, it would be a wise decision to play this game. All of the dirty work that we don't see as the viewer (planting the gun in the toilet, killing Paulie, and the killing of Tattaglia to name a few) is done as we follow the main character of the game. Not as monumental as the film, but still really good (one of my personal favorites).

Even sad in pixelation; The Death of Sonny

No comments: