Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Let me tell you the story of "Right Hand, Left Hand."

O, Spike Lee. I have to admit that I have only seen one of Lee's films (Inside Man) and that was hardly race related at all. So, I wasn't sure what to expect from his films. Anywho, Do the Right Thing was one of those films that left me thinking if I was racist at all. Sal seemed like the biggest example of this conviction. At one time he is a nice guy, and at other time he is completely different throwing racial slurs about. The ending really left me convicted. Why did Mookie throw the can through the window? Why didn't he explain himself? I looked around online and found that it was part of Lee's ideals that asking a question like that put the life of Radio Raheem lower than a building. Instant shame. Wow, that hits like a ton of bricks.
Another thing that the film left with me is the conviction of peaceful protest to violence. As Smiley and the picture of MLK and Malcolm X showed this constant battle within the movie. You almost get the feeling that it just happens. That's life.
Do the Right Thing also manged to grab my attention just by the simple task of costume. While most of the people in the film were dressed in bright, over the top clothes I noticed that Da Mayor was dressed in a simple suit with a simple hat. I think that this task was merely showing how the times have changed, and the time for revolution wasn't going to be humble (just a thought). Each costume just felt right for each character. (I found it ironic that Buggin Out was so upset about his Air Jordans while he was stuck in his political plight)

All in all, Do the Right Thing is one of those movies that I am really going to have to ponder over for a while. I think it would also help to watch it a few times as well.

No comments: